Connect with us

News

Will U.S. delegation to Russian Olympics include LGBT leaders?

Pressure builds on U.S. to respond to Putin’s anti-gay crackdown

Published

on

olympics, olympic torch, gay news, Washington Blade

Groups are calling for LGBT-inclusion in the U.S. delegation to the Olympic games. (Photo by Ben Dauphinee; courtesy Wikimedia Commons)

Several advocacy groups are calling on the White House to include LGBT leaders and athletes as part of the U.S. delegation to the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia amid concerns over an ongoing anti-gay crackdown in the country.

Joining Human Rights First in its call for LGBT inclusion are the Human Rights Campaign and the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force as well as U.S. groups that work on international LGBT issues: the Council for Global Equality and All Out.

Fred Sainz, HRC’s vice president of communications, added the name of the nation’s largest LGBT advocacy group on Monday to the voices calling for LGBT inclusion in the U.S. delegation via an email to the Washington Blade.

“We do believe that LGBT participation in the delegation is essential,” Sainz said. “We’ve recommended to the White House in the strongest of ways that LGBT representation sends a potent message about the American culture of an inclusive democracy.”

The calls for LGBT inclusion in the U.S. delegation to Sochi follow multiple developments that have earned Russia a reputation as being hostile to human rights generally — and LGBT rights in particular.

Among the concerns regarding LGBT rights is the law passed unanimously by the State Duma banning pro-gay propaganda to minors and another law prohibiting the adoption of Russian children by couples from countries with marriage equality.

Reports of anti-LGBT violence in the country also continue to emerge. The Moscow Times reported on Sunday that Moscow’s largest gay club sought protection from the Russian government against repeated attacks, including one on Saturday in which 100 people seized the attic of the building and fully dismantled the roof.

Late last month, the U.S.-based group Human Rights First sent a letter to Valerie Jarrett, senior adviser to President Obama, asking the White House to include LGBT people as part of the as-yet unnamed U.S. delegation to Russia to signal support for LGBT rights.

Shawn Gaylord, advisory counsel to Human Rights First, said he believes the request is being taken seriously based on meetings last week at the White House and the State Department in which the organization brought Russian activists to meet with administration officials .

“The questions around the delegation came up at those meetings as well,” Gaylord said. “We were able to basically reiterate our ask in those meetings — that’s pretty much it — and it was clear they were aware of our request.”

Among the LGBT individuals that LGBT advocates have mentioned to the Blade as possibilities for inclusion in the delegation are any of the openly gay U.S. ambassadors or an openly gay member of Congress, such as Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.), who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

LGBT athletes have also been named as potential individuals who could be included as part of the U.S. delegation to Russia. Among them is Greg Louganis, a gay former Olympic diver who has called for protests of Russia’s anti-gay laws during the Olympics, and lesbian tennis player Martina Navratilova. Lesbian singer Melissa Etheridge told the Blade she’d go to Sochi “with bells on” to attend the Olympics.

Joe Mirabella, director of campaigns for the LGBT international grassroots group All Out, said the U.S. delegation to the Olympics should include LGBT people not just as a symbolic gesture against Russia’s anti-gay climate, but also to reflect the diversity of Americans.

“If Russia were a perfect-case scenario and everybody was treated equally, I still think that LGBT people should be included,” Mirabella said. “But it’s particularly important, given the crackdown on human rights, that the United States and other countries show leadership in this area.”

It’s unclear when the White House will announce the delegation to the Olympics. Even though the games are two months away, no announcements have been made. The situation was different prior to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, when the White House announced first lady Michelle Obama would lead the U.S. delegation four months ahead of time.

In the past week, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney has faced questions on the composition of the delegation during each of three consecutive briefings. On Monday, he wouldn’t explain why a delegation has yet to be named when asked about the apparent delay by Buzzfeed’s Evan McMorris-Santoro.

“I don’t have any updates on the answer I gave to that question last week, which is that when we have a delegation to announce, we’ll announce it, but no new information to provide today,” Carney said.

Mark Bromley, chair of the Council for Global Equality, predicted an announcement would happen in January, saying his group has told the administration the delegation should consist of a strong representation of minorities, including LGBT people.

“We also hope to see the inclusion of LGBT athletes in the delegation, who could speak athlete-to-athlete to Olympians in Sochi, and of course, we would be delighted to see LGBT officials participate in the delegation,” Bromley said.

At the same time that calls are being made to include LGBT people in the U.S. delegation, leaders in countries have said they’re skipping the Olympics altogether. A number of European officials have already signaled they won’t attend the games amid concern over Russia’s human rights record.

Without explaining the decision further, French President Francois Hollande and other French officials announced they wouldn’t attend the Olympics. German President Joachim Gauck and European Union commissioner Viviane Reding earlier made similar announcements.

It’s possible that any LGBT person selected to attend the games would face criticism and accusations their attendance gives the appearance of tacit approval of the anti-gay atmosphere in Russia.

Gay singer Elton John was criticized for making a concert appearance in Russia as was gay MSNBC news anchor Thomas Roberts for hosting the 2013 Miss Universe pageant in Moscow. During an event last week on Capitol Hill, Louganis lashed out at both of them and told the Blade they were a “feather in Putin’s cap.”

John Aravosis, editor of AMERICAblog, said endorsing the idea of LGBT people going as part of the U.S. delegation to Russia was a “tough call” and added that no one from the Obama family should attend.

“I’m not sure anyone should be attending,” Aravosis said. “Certainly not anyone with the last name Obama, nor anyone who has aspirations to be our next president in 2016. If there’s a delegation at all, it’s not a terrible idea to have someone on it who’s gay or trans and outspoken about Russia. We don’t need another Johnny Weir, and Thomas Roberts has hardly been a profile in courage either.”

Human Rights First’s Gaylord said the situation with the U.S. delegation is different because unlike with Roberts or John, someone has to represent the United States at the Olympics — even though they may face criticism.

“There may be people who take that viewpoint,” Gaylord said. “We certainly at Human Rights First didn’t criticize, or really take a position on something like the Miss Universe pageant. One difference may be there does need to be a delegation named, and so in that context, having an LGBT person in that delegation, at least one LGBT person, makes a lot of sense.”

Rea Carey, executive director of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, said LGBT inclusion in the U.S. delegation to Russia would send an important message about American values.

“As Putin tries to marginalize Russian LGBT people with his outrageous policies and laws, it’s important that LGBT voices are represented in our nation’s official delegation to the Olympics,” Carey said. “This speaks volumes about U.S. leadership, how much progress we’ve made to deliver freedom and justice for LGBT people, and offers hope to those who are facing the most appalling oppression in Russia and other parts of the world.”

UPDATE: This article has been updated after it was posted to include a comment from Rea Carey of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force.

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

District of Columbia

D.C. police arrest man for burglary at gay bar Spark Social House  

Suspect ID’d from images captured by Spark Social House security cameras

Published

on

Spark Social House (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

D.C. police on Feb. 18 arrested a 63-year-old man “of no fixed address” for allegedly stealing cash from the registers at the gay bar Spark Social House after unlawfully entering the bar at 2009 14th St., N.W., around 12:04 a.m. after it had closed for business, according to a police incident report.

“Later that day officers canvassing for the suspect located him nearby,” a separate police statement says. “63-year-old Tony Jones of no fixed address was arrested and charged with Burglary II,” the statement says.

The police incident report states that the bar’s owner, Nick Tsusaki, told police investigators that the bar’s security cameras captured the image of a man who has frequently visited the bar and was believed to be homeless.

“Once inside, the defendant was observed via the establishment’s security cameras opening the cash register, removing U.S. currency, and placing the currency into the left front pocket of his jacket,” the report says.

Tsusaki told the Washington Blade that he and Spark’s employees have allowed Jones to enter the bar many times since it opened last year to use the bathroom in a gesture of compassion knowing he was homeless. Tsusaki said he is not aware of Jones ever having purchased anything during his visits.

According to Tsusaki, Spark closed for business at around 10:30 p.m. on the night of the incident at which time an employee did not properly lock the front entrance door. He said no employees or customers were present when the security cameras show Jones entering Spark through the front door around 12:04 a.m. 

Tsusaki said the security camera images show Jones had been inside Spark for about three hours on the night of the burglary and show him taking cash out of two cash registers. He took a total of $300, Tsusaki said.

When Tsusaki and Spark employees arrived at the bar later in the day and discovered the cash was missing from the registers they immediately called police, Tsusaki told the Blade. Knowing that Jones often hung out along the 2000 block of 14th Street where Spark is located, Tsusaki said he went outside to look for him and saw him across the street and pointed Jones out to police, who then placed him under arrest.

A police arrest affidavit filed in court states that at the time they arrested him police found the stolen cash inside the pocket of the jacket Jones was wearing. It says after taking him into police custody officers found a powdered substance in a Ziploc bag also in Jones’s possession that tested positive for cocaine, resulting in him being charged with cocaine possession in addition to the burglary charge.

D.C. Superior Court records show a judge ordered Jones held in preventive detention at a Feb. 19 presentment hearing. The judge then scheduled a preliminary hearing for the case on Feb. 20, the outcome of which couldn’t immediately be obtained. 

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Judge rescinds order against activist in Capital Pride lawsuit

Darren Pasha accused of stalking organization staff, board members, volunteers

Published

on

Darren Pasha (Washington Blade photo by Michael Key)

A D.C. Superior Court judge on Feb.18 agreed to rescind his earlier ruling declaring local gay activist Darren Pasha in default for failing to attend a virtual court hearing regarding an anti-stalking lawsuit brought against him by the Capital Pride Alliance, the group that organizes D.C.’s annual Pride events.

The Capital Pride lawsuit, initially filed on Oct. 27, 2025, accuses Pasha of engaging in a year-long “course of conduct” of “harassment, intimidation, threats, manipulation, and coercive behavior” targeting Capital Pride staff, board members, and volunteers.

In his own court filings without retaining an attorney, Pasha has strongly denied the stalking related allegations against him, saying “no credible or admissible evidence has been provided” to show he engaged in any wrongdoing. 

Judge Robert D. Okum nevertheless on Feb. 6 approved a temporary stay-away order requiring Pasha to stay at least 100 feet away from Capital Pride’s staff, volunteers, and board members until the time of a follow-up court hearing scheduled for April 17. He reduced the stay-away distance from 200 yards as requested by Capital Pride.

In his two-page order issued on Feb. 18, Okun stated that Pasha explained that he was involved in a scooter accident in which he was injured and his phone was damaged, preventing him from joining the Feb. 6 court hearing.

“Therefore, the court finds there is a good cause for vacating the default,” Okun states in his order.

At the time he initially approved the default order at the Feb. 6 hearing that Pasha didn’t attend, Okun scheduled an April 17 ex parte proof hearing in which Capital Pride could have requested a ruling in its favor seeking a permanent anti-stalking order against Pasha.

In his Feb. 18 ruling rescinding the default order Okun changed the April 17 ex parte proof hearing to an initial scheduling conference hearing in which a decision on the outcome of the case is not likely to happen.

In addition, he agreed to consider Pasha’s call for a jury trial and gave Capital Pride 14 days to contest that request. The Capital Pride lawsuit initially called for a non-jury trial by judge.

One request by Pasha that Okum denied was a call for him to order Capital Pride to stop its staff or volunteers from posting information about the lawsuit on social media. Pasha has said the D.C.-based online blog called DC Homos, which Pasha claims is operated by someone associated with Capital Pride, has been posting articles portraying him in a negative light and subjecting him to highly negative publicity.

“The defendant has not set forth a sufficient basis for the court to restrict the plaintiff’s social media postings, and the court therefore will deny the defendant’s request in his social media praecipe,” Okun states in his order. 

A praecipe is a formal written document requesting action by a court.

Pasha called the order a positive development in his favor. He said he plans to file another motion with more information about what he calls the unfair and defamatory reports about him related to the lawsuit by DC Homos, with a call for the judge to reverse his decision not to order Capital Pride to stop social media postings about the lawsuit.    

Pasha points to a video interview on the LGBTQ Team Rayceen broadcast, a link to which he sent to the Washington Blade, in which DC Homos operator Jose Romero acknowledged his association with Capital Pride Alliance.

Capital Pride Executive Director Ryan Bos didn’t immediately respond to a message from the Blade asking whether Romero was a volunteer or employee with Capital Pride. 

Pasha also said he believes the latest order has the effect of rescinding the temporary stay away order against him approved by Okun in his earlier ruling, even though Okun makes no mention of the stay away order in his latest ruling. Capital Pride attorney Nick Harrison told the Blade the stay away order “remains in full force and effect.”

Harrison said Capital Pride has no further comment on the lawsuit.

Continue Reading

District of Columbia

Trans activists arrested outside HHS headquarters in D.C.

Protesters demonstrated directive against gender-affirming care

Published

on

(Photo by Alexa B. Wilkinson)

Authorities on Tuesday arrested 24 activists outside the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services headquarters in D.C.

The Gender Liberation Movement, a national organization that uses direct action, media engagement, and policy advocacy to defend bodily autonomy and self-determination, organized the protest in which more than 50 activists participated. Organizers said the action was a response to changes in federal policy mandated by Executive Order 14187, titled “Protecting Children from Chemical and Surgical Mutilation.”

The order directs federal agencies and programs to work toward “significantly limiting youth access to gender-affirming care nationwide,” according to KFF, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that provides independent, fact-based information on national health issues. The executive order also includes claims about gender-affirming care and transgender youth that critics have described as misinformation.

Members of ACT UP NY and ACT UP Pittsburgh also participated in the demonstration, which took place on the final day of the public comment period for proposed federal rules that would restrict access to gender-affirming care.

Demonstrators blocked the building’s main entrance, holding a banner reading “HANDS OFF OUR ‘MONES,” while chanting, “HHS—RFK—TRANS YOUTH ARE NO DEBATE” and “NO HATE—NO FEAR—TRANS YOUTH ARE WELCOME HERE.”

“We want trans youth and their loving families to know that we see them, we cherish them, and we won’t let these attacks go on without a fight,” said GLM co-founder Raquel Willis. “We also want all Americans to understand that Trump, RFK, and their HHS won’t stop at trying to block care for trans youth — they’re coming for trans adults, for those who need treatment from insulin to SSRIs, and all those already failed by a broken health insurance system.”

“It is shameful and intentional that this administration is pitting communities against one another by weaponizing Medicaid funding to strip care from trans youth. This has nothing to do with protecting health and everything to do with political distraction,” added GLM co-founder Eliel Cruz. “They are targeting young people to deflect from their failure to deliver for working families across the country. Instead of restricting care, we should be expanding it. Healthcare is a human right, and it must be accessible to every person — without cost or exception.”

(Photo by Cole Witter)

Despite HHS’s efforts to restrict gender-affirming care for trans youth, major medical associations — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Endocrine Society — continue to regard such care as evidence-based treatment. Gender-affirming care can include psychotherapy, social support, and, when clinically appropriate, puberty blockers and hormone therapy.

The protest comes amid broader shifts in access to care nationwide. 

NYU Langone Health recently announced it will stop providing transition-related medical care to minors and will no longer accept new patients into its Transgender Youth Health Program following President Donald Trump’s January 2025 executive order targeting trans healthcare. 

Continue Reading

Popular