Connect with us

Rehoboth Beach

CAMP Rehoboth kicks off search for new executive director

Strategic planning process underway

Published

on

Wesley Combs is president of the CAMP Rehoboth Board of Directors. (Blade file photo by Daniel Truitt)

CAMP Rehoboth, the Rehoboth Beach LGBTQ community services center, was scheduled to officially announce on Monday, Oct. 17, that it is seeking bids from executive search firms to retain such a firm to help the group conduct a national search for a new executive director, according to Wesley Combs, president of the CAMP Rehoboth Board of Directors.

Combs told the Washington Blade the announcement seeking a search firm, known as an RFP or Request for Proposal to undertake the search process, comes about a month after CAMP Rehoboth retained nationally acclaimed strategic planning consultant Michela Perrone of Georgetown University to help the nonprofit group update its strategic plan for providing services and support for a diverse and growing LGBTQ community in Rehoboth and surrounding areas.

Perrone, a faculty member at Georgetown University’s Center for Public and Nonprofit Leadership, has provided support for strategic planning and other services for many nonprofit organizations through her consulting firm MMP Associates, including for LGBTQ nonprofits.
The need for a new CAMP Rehoboth executive director surfaced this past May when then executive director David Mariner resigned to start a new Delaware LGBTQ advocacy group called Sussex Pride. The CAMP Rehoboth board a short time later named Lisa Evans, a longtime administrator at nonprofit organizations in Baltimore, as CAMP Rehobothā€™s interim executive director.

Combs has said Evans was appointed to serve as the groupā€™s acting manager in an ā€œadvisory roleā€ as soon as the board learned of Marinerā€™s plans to leave the organization. After conducting a search for an interim director, the board selected Evans from a group of four finalist candidates as the best fit for that role, Combs said.

Now, according to Combs, CAMP Rehoboth is beginning the process for the first phase of its strategic plan development and its search for a new executive director. He said after considerable deliberation, the board decided it would be important to retain a strategic planning expert and begin the first phase of the strategic planning process at this time.

He said the board was hopeful that a national search firm can be retained within the next 30 days and the nationwide search for a new executive director would begin at that time.

The first phase of the strategic plan development, which began at the time Perrone was retained last month, includes data collection and community engagement, including community surveys and focus groups, Combs said.

He said the strategic planning process will then be put on hold until the new executive director is hired and takes office for a short time to become acclimated with CAMP Rehobothā€™s operations. It is the boardā€™s belief that the new executive director should take part in the second phase of the development of the updated strategic plan, Combs said.

ā€œWeā€™re not going to begin the work to determine what the priorities of CAMP will be until the new executive director has been hired,ā€ said Combs. ā€œSo, itā€™s a two-phase strategy ā€“ start, gap, start,ā€ he said.

ā€œOur hope is we will have identified a candidate by mid-January and that person can hopefully be on board by March 1, 2023,ā€ Combs said in referring to the hiring process for the new executive director. ā€œThatā€™s our hope.ā€

Combs noted that CAMP Rehoboth, which was co-founded in 1991 by LGBTQ rights advocates Steve Elkins and his then partner and subsequent husband Murray Archibald, has grown tremendously over the years and has developed and updated strategic plans during those years.

Elkins, a beloved figure in Rehoboth for many years, served as CAMP Rehobothā€™s executive director until he passed away in 2018.

Combs said plans began to update the strategic plan shortly after David Mariner began as executive director in 2019 and continued through early 2020. But with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and the sweeping restrictions it brought about for all public spaces later that year, CAMP Rehoboth under Marinerā€™s leadership had to dramatically ā€œpivotā€ to a virtual operation, Combs said. Nearly all its in-person operations and programs had to be suspended or switched to online operations.

All of that meant the strategic planning process had to be put on hold, Combs said. And while it resumed earlier this year, Marinerā€™s decision to resign prompted the board to reassess how to move forward with the strategic planning process.

ā€œThe thought was, we have a lot of the work that was done,ā€ Combs said. ā€œBut it was four years ago, three years actually, when the outreach to the community was done,ā€ he said. ā€œWe had focus groups, we had surveys done. So, some of that information may still be relevant. But some of it obviously needs to be revisited because the demographics of Delaware and our community have changed in that three-year period.ā€

Added Combs, ā€œPlus, Rehoboth and the surrounding area has become a much bigger retirement community for a lot of LGBTQ peopleā€¦We want to make sure we understand what the needs are of the various stakeholder groups that CAMP Rehoboth serves,ā€ he said. ā€œAnd that also includes the increased visibility of transgender people in lower Delaware. And, the increased visibility of LGBTQ youth who are coming out,ā€ Combs told the Blade.

ā€œSo, the plan is designed to ensure that we understand who the demographics of this community are, what support they need, and what role will CAMP play in helping to address them,ā€ he said. ā€œEvery nonprofit does this every three to five years.ā€

Below is a list of CAMP Rehoboth’s numerous programs and activities that it has carried out in recent years, as shown on its website:

Advertisement
FUND LGBTQ JOURNALISM
SIGN UP FOR E-BLAST

Rehoboth Beach

Delaware officials to take questions at CAMP Rehoboth

Panelists to speak at community center

Published

on

(Washington Blade file photo by Michael Key)

CAMP Rehoboth will host a community conversation with elected officials on Thursday, Jan. 16 at 10 a.m. at the CAMP Rehoboth Community Center. 

Panelists include Mike Brickner, executive director of ACLU of Delaware; Sen. Russ Huxtable of the 6th Senate district of Delaware; and Rep. Claire Snyder-Hall of the 14th district of Delaware. 

ā€œCAMP Rehoboth looks forward to safeguarding protections of the LGBTQ+ community by bringing awareness to initiatives in place, and partnering with agencies and elected officials to listen to our challenges and concerns. We hope you will join us,ā€ said Kim Leisey, Ph.D., executive director of CAMP Rehoboth. 

Advance registration is required and can be accessed on CAMP Rehobothā€™s website.

Continue Reading

Rehoboth Beach

Rehoboth Beachā€™s iconic Purple Parrot is sold

Popular restaurant/bar purchased by local entrepreneurs

Published

on

Drew Mitchell (left) and Tyler Townsend recently completed their purchase of the Purple Parrot.

After 25 years of success, owners Hugh Fuller and Troy Roberts recently sold Rehoboth Beachā€™s Purple Parrot restaurant and bar. 

During those 25 years, they built it into an iconic establishment in Rehoboth Beach, Del., popular with locals and tourists alike.

 ā€œI think you know that this has basically been my entire adult life,ā€ Fuller said. ā€œSelling wasn’t something I was even contemplating until my health took a turn after contracting COVID, which took a toll on my everyday health. I went from working almost every day to barely going in.ā€ 

Fuller added that when local entrepreneurs Tyler Townsend and his partner Drew Mitchell reached out, he knew it was time to sell. 

ā€œWe knew we made the right decision going with some young blood that knew the staff, the restaurant, and us,ā€ Fuller said. ā€œWe know that our baby is in good hands and will breathe for another 25+ years with them at the helm. I plan to take some time and bring my mom back to her hometown in Germany to visit her family, which she hasn’t seen in over 30 years.ā€ 

Roberts added, ā€œIt is bittersweet selling a business you created, nurtured, and ran for 25 years. It is much easier knowing who is going to love it next. More importantly, we really wanted our staff to be OK and again picking the right guys offering that security to them was a major plus. Iā€™ve learned so much being in the restaurant business for 30+ years. You meet so many great people, so many loyal customers, amazing locals, and even better staff. It truly does become a family situation. I will always be grateful to every single one of them past and present. I cannot wait to see what the next chapter of the Purple Parrot Grill has in-store.ā€

The new owners, Townsend and Mitchell, are already a big part of the Rehoboth scene. Townsend is a successful restaurateur, part of the Second Block Hospitality Group, which owns The Pines, Drift, and Bodhi Kitchen. Townsend is also one of the owners of Aqua Bar and Grill.  Townsend and the other three partners in Second Block Hospitality, were named restaurateurs of the year by the Delaware Restaurant Association earlier this year. Mitchell has a company that does corporate branding, but is no newcomer to hospitality. He is the owner of the Fathom Gallery on 14th Street in D.C., a popular event space. 

Townsend told the Blade he and Mitchell are not planning any big changes for the Parrot. The staff will remain the same and the food and drinks will continue as they are now. They will continue to be open on Thanksgiving and Christmas, as a home for those looking to have a great place to spend the holidays with old, and new friends. While the Parrot is independent of Townsendā€™s other businesses, he believes there can be some synergy among them, and if the time and event are right, there will be collaboration. 

Reaction to the news from locals has been overwhelmingly positive.

Christopher Chandler, who has worked as a bartender and manager at the Parrot for years, is well respected in the community and has been voted best bartender in Rehoboth Beach a number of times by Blade readers. Chandler said, ā€œHugh and Troy were, and are, like family to me. They treated me and the staff of the Parrot as part of theirs. Iā€™m sad they are gone but if anyone is capable of continuing their legacy it is Tyler and Drew.

ā€œIn the short time since their purchase of the Purple Parrot they have continued on that tradition. Iā€™m excited about continuing into the future what the Parrot has been to the community, and to the employees, just with new owners.ā€  

Bob Suppies, who is a partner with Townsend in Second Block Hospitality said, ā€œI couldnā€™t be more excited for Tyler and Drew having purchased The Purple Parrot. When Tyler, Kevin McDuffie and I bought Aqua Bar & Grill from the famed Bill Shields, it was important for us to honor the brand and legacy of a great Rehoboth Beach institution. I know Tyler and Drew will do an outstanding job protecting what Hugh and Troy have built and given to our community.ā€ 

Steve Fallon, owner of local retail store Gidgetā€™s Gadgets, said, ā€œThe Purple Parrot is a monumental institution produced by the hard work of Hugh, Troy, Cathy, and their loyal staff. We will be sad not to yell “Hey Hugh!” across the street. But I also know that Tyler and Drew will carry on the history of the Parrot with a fresh approach and always keep the customers happy. I wouldn’t fear that they would do as others have done and try changing a functioning landscape into a horror show.ā€ 

The Purple Parrot (Washington Blade photo by Daniel Truitt)
Continue Reading

Rehoboth Beach

Adult suspect pleads guilty to Rehoboth Beach hate crime

Case pending for five juveniles charged in targeting women for harassment

Published

on

(Washington Blade file photo by Michael Key)

A 21-year-old man has pleaded guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct in connection with an Aug. 17 incident in which five juveniles and one adult were arrested for allegedly targeting three women for harassment on a street in Rehoboth Beach based on their perception of the victimsā€™ sexual orientation.

Lt. Mark Sweet, a spokesperson for the Rehoboth Beach Police Department, said the adult suspect in the case, Jerome Charleston, was sentenced to a fine of $100 plus court costs at a Sept. 18 arraignment in which he pleaded guilty to a single count of disorderly conduct.

A statement released by Rehoboth police at the time of the incident says it occurred on Saturday, Aug. 17, at 2 a.m. at Baltimore Avenue and Second Street. The statement says three women flagged down a police officer after a vehicle drove past them and then came to a stop.

According to the statement, five juveniles exited the vehicle and approached the women, making statements that their behavior in public was not appropriate. During the exchange, the statement continues, one of the juveniles fired an Airsoft gun at the women and all five returned to the vehicle and fled the area.

Airsoft guns are replica guns designed to shoot non-metallic projectiles. No injuries were reported in the incident.

The police statement says officers in nearby Dewey Beach located the vehicle and apprehended the five juveniles and an adult driving the vehicle.

ā€œOnce in custody, it was determined that the only reason the suspects stopped to confront the victims was due to their perception of the victimsā€™ sexual orientation,ā€ the Rehoboth police statement says.

The police statement says three of the juveniles arrested in the case, two of whom were 15 years old and the other 14, were from Rehoboth Beach. It says another youth, age 14, was from nearby Lewes, and the other, at age 15, was from nearby Blades, Del.

The statement says each of the juveniles was charged with Aggravated Menacing, a felony; and the misdemeanor counts of Offensive Touching, Conspiracy in the Third Degree, Disorderly Conduct, and a Hate Crime.

Charleston, the only adult in the case, was charged with Disorderly Conduct, which is a misdemeanor.

The Washington Blade couldnā€™t immediately determine the status of the case against the juveniles. Police spokesperson Sweet said those cases were still pending and Rehoboth Police could not comment further on those cases.

In most jurisdictions, including Delaware, juvenile cases are kept confidential and are not part of the public court records.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sign Up for Weekly E-Blast

Follow Us @washblade

Advertisement

Popular